August
Posted on 26-08-2009
Filed Under (Arduino) by Dan

A few months ago I was wrestling with getting my 16×2 parallel LCD to work with an Arduino for a few hours, until I decided it had to be broken. All I was getting was garbled characters and solid blocks. A few months later, I picked it back up and did some more playing, and eventually got it working. Now to learn how to print custom characters to it…I learn by doing, so I decided to make a hangman program. Below are pictures of the perf-board rendition of a shield for connecting the LCD, a few potentiometers, a tactile switch and a speaker for noise-making fun. At this point the code works well, but I’ve got some ideas for improvement and a box is in the making. Perhaps I’ll even submit it to Brico Geek “Let Arduino Play” contest : )

Hangmane Prototype

(6) Comments    Read More

Comments

s on 25 November, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

will you share your code?

Dan on 25 November, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Source code and string library files are available via links in the description of the finished project which is posted here.

Adam on 22 November, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Hey Dan!..awesome work..If u could, would u please tell me or list down the components that u have used in the making of the board…thx a lot! :)

Dan on 22 November, 2010 at 10:12 am #

Adam, thanks! There weren’t any special components used in the making of the board. Simply a tactile button (nav), 10K potentiometer (nav), 5K potentiometer (lcd backlight), and a PC speaker. Hope that helps!

Adam on 22 November, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

thx for the quick info..wat i’m tryin to understand is, wats the interface/ connection between the common circuit board and the IC board..and is the tactile button available commonly or do i have to look out for somethin else..sorry for all the doubts :) .. the thing is i’m into the software section..and hardware ain’t quite my piece of cake.. :P though i’m tryin to learn it… wanted to understand and carry out your work into my project.. if its possible or if u have other pictures of the circuit diagram tht probably lists down any small components also would really be of great help..if u do could u please mail e’m to me?..only if its not a problem … thx once again! :)

id: adam.dsouza1@gmail.com

Sumi on 25 November, 2010 at 11:58 am #

Nice work Dan..! Good luck..!